Stop diarrhea and constipation with only one herb – Slippery Elm! This herb is ideal for digestive system and is a must have in your first-aid medicine cabinet for sure. It is called “The Soothing Herb” for Digestive System.
Slippery Elm to the rescue!!!
Slippery Elm tree is growing in the Appalachian Mountains and is native to Canada and the US. The inner bark is collected from young trees and is powdered into therapeutic uses. This herb has properties similar to comfrey. It is gentle and soothing. It is a “Mucilaginous” herb which means sticky and with an ability to coat.
Slippery elm absorbs liquid in the intestines and helps to gel up the “runs”.
- Mix Slippery elm with water to make a thin gruel/mush. *There are no exact proportions but the ones I use are 1/4th teaspoon to 1 Tbsp of water. Do proportions that you like as long as the end result is a thin gruel.
- Give a teaspoonful of this mush to a child every hour, or after every time a child had a loose stool, to stop serious dehydration.
- Give even less to an infant to stop the runs.
- For an adult, or an older child change the dosage to one tablespoon or more every hour, or after every loose stool.
Slippery elm helps with constipation, as much as it helps with diarrhea. It has almost unexplainable side to it. It lubricates the colon, adds bulk, and helps the child/adult to move the bowels. It also helps with chronic constipation.
- Taking 2-3 capsules a day (for adults) treats the condition.
- Give a teaspoon of this liquid mush to a child.
- Drinking water with it will speed the process.
Slippery elm is recommended to drink during the GERD (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease) from time to time. The sticky coat of Slippery elm lubricates the esophagus and prevents irritation and inflammation from the acid that comes up from the stomach.
- Take 1-2 table spoons of Slippery elm in a glass of water
- Drink after meal.
Irritable Bowel Syndrome/Crohn’s Disease
“Slippery elm is such a specific remedy for helping this condition that it is almost a crime that doctors and hospitals don’t make use of it. It soothes the pain within a couple of hours by not just hiding the pain but by soothing the inflamed area, a signal from the body that something is wrong simply goes away.” said Racheal Weaver M.H.
- Take a capsule four times a day with drinking comfrey tea throughout the day.
Slippery Elm covers the inside of the intestinal tract with a smooth slippery coating that both nourishes and heals the inflamed intestinal walls. It should take about a month to heal from Irritable Bowel Syndrome all the way, stay faithful in taking the capsules and drinking the comfrey tea.
- Drink/gargle Slippery Elm as a thin gruel to coat a sore throat.
The taste is slightly nutty, not unpleasant flavor, and it is very soothing to a raw throat.
Other good benefits you may experience are:
- Helps loose weight – through healing constipation
- Treats stress and anxiety – because it contains phenols.
- Reduces symptoms of Psoriasis (if taken for a period of 6 months)
- Calms inflammation when applied to the area with inflammation
- Heals bladder infections
- Treats long standing bowel problems
- Helps with sore appendix
*This information has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
*Consult with a qualified healthcare practitioner before using it, also if you are pregnant, nursing, or on any medications.
Also check out my other posts about the benefits of slippery elm powder below.
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.