Just couple days ago I was down with the most painful stomach flu. Thankfully I had these very helpful remedies in books and other notes. Now that I feel better I thought I would share the information with you! Below are the things that were most helpful for me, I hope you find it helpful for you as well! Also some additional information on how to help a child overcome the stomach flu.
- Be watchful not to dehydrate from continuous vomiting and diarrhea.
- STOP eating all foods and drinking other liquids immediately!
- Make charcoal “gray water” and administer it in small sips every five minutes.
*I order my charcoal from Charcoal House it lasts for a long, long time!
- Switch to drinking tea such as lightly sweetened yarrow tea, red raspberry leaf tea or cold/flu tea once they are able to keep the charcoal water down for an hour.
- Give one of the teas above (brewed) by a tablespoon only, every five to ten minutes (if it’s a child) or take sips every five to ten minutes (if it’s an adult).
- If they can keep this down, increase the dose slowly until the person is able to tolerate more.
- Use toast and one of the teas above for the rest of the day if possible before you begin other solid food.
- Lots of rest.
- Wash hands as ofter as you can not to spread it to others.
Child: If vomiting and diarrhea doesn’t stop and child begins to dehydrate.
- Give small retention enemas of one of the above teas. A blue bulb syringe is very helpful for this. Use no more than two tablespoons to a quarter cup of liquid, or the child will expel it and dehydrate himself even more.
- When vomiting settles, give echinacea tincture – 1/2 tsp every hour depending on the size of the child.
- If you are nursing a baby, do not stop nursing!
- You can take some of these herbal teas above and give droppers full of it if you wish!
How to stop diarrhea:
- Small amounts of slippery elm mush or tea will help. Put 1/4 tsp of slippery elm to 1/4 cup of warm water.
- 1 tsp of cornstarch in a quarter to a half cup of water will also help. Sip slowly and it will usually stop the runs in a short period of time.
- After severe diarrhea drink probiotics. This will help with getting good bacteria in the intestines back and prevent constipation.
- Stop all dairy products and fruits, until the diarrhea is gone.
- Use the BRAT diet, Bananas, Rice, Applesauce and Toast.
- Emergen-C packets given in water help to replace the electrolytes.
*I had one day where I did not follow a diet and one day where I did. I’ve notice a big change in a better way when I began following this diet. So it was very helpful for me!
Need to try:
*This remedy is for adults only.
A good friend of mine Lisa shared with me an interesting remedy that would kill the stomach flu bacteria fast. I haven’t tried it myself yet, hopefully I won’t have to, but that is definitely something for me to consider. So with her permission here is what it is:
- 3 Tbsp of Vodka
- 1/2 tsp of salt
Mix it well together and drink it before going to sleep. Gotta say, I already know this would be challenging for me to drink it, but rather then going through the pain I went, I would definitely do it! You will need to drink probiotics afterwards since it may also kill the good bacteria in your stomach.
Please feel free to share with me your remedies/methods in comments below about what have helped you to overcome stomach flu fast? What do you do to make you or your loved ones feel better during that miserable time? What preventative methods do you use when someone around you is sick with it? I would love to hear it! 😄
I tried it:
So in the morning I had a terrible nausea and was about to vomit. I decided to try the vodka/salt remedy. I gotta say, I took only one sip of that stuff and the nausea went away almost instantly! Yes, the taste was nasty, but it worked! Thank you Lisa for such a fast relieving remedy! Absolutely amazing!
- Be Your Own “Doctor” written by Rachel Weaver M.H.
- Your body’s many cries for WATER” (You’re Not Sick; You’re Thirsty Don’t Treat Thirst with Medication) written by Doctor F. Batmanghelidj, M.D.
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
*I recommend that you consult with a qualified healthcare practitioner before using any herbal products, particularly if you are pregnant, nursing, or on any medications.